Here are more smoking statistics from Malaysia:
- Every day about 50 teenagers below the age of 18 start smoking.
- Smoking is estimated to have caused more than half a million coronary events.
- Smoking rates are highest in rural Kelantan and lowest in urban Penang and Sarawak.
- Malaysia has been dubbed the "indirect advertising capital" of the world. Some of the tobacco industry's most blatant efforts to target young people can be seen here.
- At least two tobacco companies were among the top 10 advertisers in recent years.